Fundamentals of Business Economics
level of course unit
Learning outcomes of course unit
Students acquire basic general business studies skills. They are familiar with different business-related sub-areas, their problems as well as solutions and master business-related fundamentals.
Graduates are able to:
- identify different business-related sub-areas and present their problems and solution methods.
- understand and explain relationships between business-related sub-areas.
- apply business-related specialist vocabulary correctly.
prerequisites and co-requisites
- Overview and content analysis of the most important thematic areas/problems in business studies.
- Definition and basics of business studies within the framework of economics.
- Business studies as science and differentiation from national economics, management studies and management.
- Constitutive company decisions (legal forms and selection of location).
- Functional company decisions (basics: procurement, production, sales, accounting and capital management).
- Business-based decisions taken by executives: management and ethics, strategic planning and monitoring, staff and organization (structural organization and operational organization).
recommended or required reading
- Thommen Jean-Paul, Achleitner Ann-Kirstin: Allgemeine Betriebswirtschaftslehre, 6. Auflage.- Wiesbaden: Gabler Verlag, 2009
- Lechner K.; Egger, A.; Schauer, R.: Einführung in die allgemeine Betriebswirtschaftslehre.- Wien: Linde, 2008
- Wöhe, G.: Einführung in die Allgemeine Betriebswirtschaftslehre.- München: Vahlen Verlag, 2008
assessment methods and criteria
Standardized exam (Multiple choice and short answers)
language of instruction
number of ECTS credits allocated
planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lecture, group work, presentation and task discussion
semester/trimester when the course unit is delivered
name of lecturer(s)
Dr. Märk Stefan
year of study
recommended optional program components
course unit code
type of course unit
mode of delivery